School of Hotel and Tourism Management
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Hong Kong, China
Master of Science in International Wine Management
A key player in the vibrant international wine scene, Hong Kong offers a unique location for anyone aspiring to be part of this trend of dynamic growth. With the huge expansion of the wine market in mainland China, the need for wine professionals with advanced, specialized training and education with a global perspective continues to grow. The Master of Science (MSc) in International Wine Management has been designed to meet this demand. The program is aimed at those who wish to enjoy a virtually guaranteed career anywhere in the world in this lucrative, ever-evolving and increasingly specialized industry.
School of Hotel and Tourism Management
The School of Hotel and Tourism Management (SHTM) of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University is located in Hong Kong – the world’s most exciting city, and a top international tourism and culinary destination.
Founded in 1979, the SHTM was rated No. 1 in the world in the “Hospitality and Tourism Management” category according to ShanghaiRanking’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2020, placed No. 1 globally in the “Commerce, Management, Tourism and Services” category in the University Ranking by Academic Performance in 2019/2020 and ranked No. 1 in the world in the “Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism” subject area by the CWUR Rankings by Subject 2017. The School represents excellence in the field, amply living up to its motto of “Leading Hospitality and Tourism.”
At the SHTM, close to 1,400 students are guided by a strong international team of 70+ academics with diverse cultural backgrounds who possess more than 400 years of hospitality or tourism industry experience. Students are provided with a service-oriented education that is truly global in its scope, giving them the opportunity to develop real-world managerial skills.
The SHTM is housed in its own complex with its teaching and research hotel, Hotel ICON, which integrates teaching, learning and research in a full-service environment, In 2012, the International Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education bestowed its McCool Breakthrough Award on the SHTM in recognition of its breakthrough in the form of Hotel ICON – the heart of the School’s innovative approach to hospitality and tourism education.
- Designed for wine enthusiasts and hospitality and tourism professionals who understand that a targeted, comprehensive postgraduate qualification will complement and complete their existing practical knowledge of this important industry.
- Develops industry leaders, educators and researchers and instills in them a deep understanding of the latest trends in the wine business, and placing graduates in a strong position to lead the industry into the future.
- Offered in Hong Kong – Asia’s World City – by the SHTM, one of the world’s leading hospitality management institutions, and is the first of its kind in the region.
- Located at the center of the booming Asia-Pacific region, the SHTM provides an international education that meets the specific demands of a truly global industry.
- Residential study trips give students the opportunity to visit renowned wine regions of the world to understand best practices in wine production, trade and management and thereby increase their international exposure and develop global networks.
- Opportunity for Management Practice (paid internship).
- Developed in consultation with noted industry figure Jennie Cho Lee, Master of Wine, and is endorsed by key industry leaders.
- Taught by leading academics as well as industry experts, such as Masters of Wine Jeannie Cho Lee, Steve Charters, Debra Meiburg and Sarah Heller, to ensure its relevance.
- Highly flexible – the program can be completed in 1 year.
International Wine Management Scholarship
This entry scholarship is targeted at qualified MSc in International Wine Management program students who demonstrate a high level of academic merit, honors and awards. Other selection criteria include non-academic achievements. Applicants should complete the application form and return it to the School before the stipulated deadline.
This entry scholarship is primarily targeted to applicants who excel in both academic and non-academic pursuits.
SHTM Academic Excellence Scholarship
This entry scholarship is targeted at candidates with outstanding academic performance in their undergraduate studies and/or success in internationally recognized standardized tests (e.g., TOEFL and GMAT/GRE). Applicants should complete the application form and return it to the School before the stipulated deadline.
SHTM Executive Development Scholarship
This entry scholarship is primarily targeted to applicants who have accumulated substantial (at least 5 years) industry experience. Applicants should complete the application form and return it to the School before the stipulated deadline.
The MSc Service Scholarship is offered to the SHTM’s enrolled MSc students. The value of the scholarship is up to HKD20,000, and awardees are expected to carry out up to 200 hours of service to the School in the areas of school activities, administration, research, or designated office duties. Students will be informed of the application procedure when they are successfully admitted to the program concerned.
Joao DE MELO PIRES
Director, Wine, Melco Resorts & Entertainment
“The greatest benefit I’ve gained is definitely the people I’ve met, both my fellow students and my lecturers. It’s very advantageous to have such diversity of opinions, approaches and cultural backgrounds, all contributing to a much better understanding of the world and in particular Chinese wine culture.”
Certified Sherry Wine Educator, Consejo Regulador de los Vinos de Jerez y Manzanilla
“I have gained not just knowledge about wine from the programme, but also critical thinking and researching. My classmates are from around the world, including mainland China, Portugal, Nepal, Hong Kong and France. We had exchange students from KEDGE Business School in Bordeaux, I met a lot of classmates from across Europe, USA, etc. It is exciting to get to know so many people from different backgrounds, with whom we share our personal experiences.”
Brand Ambassador China, Hine Cognac
“This international programme gave me the unique opportunity to study wine and spirits at the centre of Asia’s booming wine industry. My experience of the programme was not only one of learning, but also about having fun, making friends and attending inspiring workshops and lectures hosted by industry professionals. The world-leading SHTM helped me to develop professional skills and an international perspective. The in-depth understanding I gained of finance, branding and marketing has been crucial in helping me to build a career in the wine and spirits industry.”
Associate, Asian Palate
“Rated number one in the world, the SHTM offers a strong foundation in wine management, marketing and finance, offering in-depth insights into the multicultural and diverse business environment of the wine and spirits industry. This programme capitalises on the competitiveness and convenience of the dynamic metropolis of Hong Kong, at the heart of Asia’s wine industry. Joining the programme enabled me to create my own path with an international perspective by communicating with and learning from specialists from the corporate world.”
- Microcredential in International Hospitality Management
- Minor in Hotel Management
- Minor in Tourism and Events Management
- BS in Hotel Management
- BS in Tourism and Events Management
- MS in Global Hospitality Business
- MS in Hotel and Tourism Management
- MS in International Hospitality Management
- MS in International Tourism and Convention Management
- MS in International Wine Management
- Doctor of Hotel and Tourism Management
- PhD in Hotel and Tourism Management
Your name and email address are held in strictest confidence by MajoringInWine.com and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University School of Hotel and Tourism Management and will not be shared with anyone else.