Southern Oregon Wine Institute
Umpqua Community College’s Viticulture & Enology Program
The Southern Oregon Wine Institute (SOWI) was established in 2008 at UCC as the first viticulture and enology program in Oregon outside the Willamette Valley.
SOWI offers degree, certificate and continuing education programs that merge conventional classroom training with experiential learning, providing students with the knowledge and skills necessary to either support existing growers and winemakers or establish ventures of their own.
Housed in the beautiful Danny Lang Teaching, Learning & Event Center, built in 2010. The facility includes:
- Living laboratory of student-cultivated vineyards
- Commercial-scale winemaking facility.
- Wine incubator to help artisans plan, start and market their wineries and save the significant costs of starting a winery.
- Wine tasting room open to the public.
- Event center for conferences, meetings, and receptions.
SOWI offers a Southern Oregon Viticulture and Enology Scholarship Employer Match scholarship. It is available for employees and owners of Oregon Vineyards, Wineries, and Tasting Rooms. The scholarship was established to increase the number of personnel in Southern Oregon leadership roles who have a fundamental education in Viticulture & Enology.
CERTIFICATE & DEGREE PROGRAMS
- Certificate in Viticulture
- Certificate in Wine Marketing
- AAS in Viticulture and Enology